The Cuban Civic Club was founded in 1963 in Tampa, FL by a group of Cuban exiles after the 1959 communist revolution. A group with a collective mission and vision came together to preserve their civilization, ancestry, cultural roots, and Christian-democratic heritage in the United States. The founding members also wanted to provide a cultural legacy for their children and grandchildren. With its motto “Without a country, but free” taken from the word of the famous Cuban poet and writer José Martí.
In July 1964, the Cuban Civic Club was incorporated as a registered non-profit organization with the Secretary of State in Tallahassee in accordance with the laws of the state of Florida. The club’s first president was Dr. Enrique Jova, who led the committee from its inception until 1964. In its early years, the group held meetings in local salons in the Tampa / Ybor City area until they acquired their own property in October 1971 with 5 1/4 acres of land. In January 1977, a clubhouse was built and inaugurated that included a ballroom, the Tropicana Cantina Ballroom, Terrace, Olympic-size swimming pool, and sports facilities. The club held teen dances once a month and a fancy ball every two months to celebrate a different province of Cuba. They presented debutantes and crowned a teen queen every year.
The Cuban Civic Club is not affiliated with any political party or organization, its main objective is to promote civic, social, cultural and sports activities for its members.